Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to stabilize 1D fluid in General Form PDE

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying so solve 1D fluid equations (modeling a plasma):

d/dx(n*v)=Sp
d/dx(m*n*v^2+n*T)=Sm
d/dx(5/2*n*T*v+1/2*m*n*v^3+q)=Sq
q=kappa*T^(5/2)*dT/dx

Where d/dx is the derivative with respect to the spatial coordinate. The variables (n, v, T, and q) are all dependent variables. As is, these are too unstable to solve by plugging them into the General Form PDE and going with the defaults (with appropriate boundary conditions).

I am profficient at using COMSOL, but not at all skilled at using weak forms or doing my own stabilization. So I've taken the monkey-see monkey-do technique of copying the implementation of streamline diffusion in the COMSOL shock tube model (www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/100/). Doing this, I can successfully solve either the isothermal (T constant) or the n & v constant cases. But putting them together, I cannot get a solution.

Has anyone any experience doing something similar or suggestions? I see either two ways forward: 1. Shoe-horning this problem into one of COMSOL's Fluid Flow models. This would allow me to use the stabilization built into the model. 2. Sticking with the General Form PDE and finding a way to get this stable and solvable.

0 Replies Last Post 2012/12/13 15:58 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dan Brunner

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.