How to add unbalanced masses to a shaft?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am working on the COMSOL case "Whirling of Uniform Shaft Under Gravity" (URL:https://www.comsol.com/model/whirling-of-uniform-shaft-under-gravity-43541).

I would like to add unbalanced masses to the shaft to see the effect on the behavior of the shaft.

I do not want to change the structure of the rotor. How can I add a tiny unbalanced mass to the shaft without changing the shaft structure?

Many thanks in advance.

2 Replies Last Post 2024/02/29 7:00 GMT-5
Frederik Wagner COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 months ago 2024/02/29 6:59 GMT-5
Updated: 2 months ago 2024/02/29 7:00 GMT-5

I would suggest that you add the unbalance force directly as a co-rotating point load, e.g. , where , , and are the unbalance mass, eccentricity and rotational speed, respectively.

Frederik Wagner

COMSOL

I would suggest that you add the unbalance force directly as a co-rotating point load, e.g. F_y = m\,e\,\omega^2, where m, e, and \omega are the unbalance mass, eccentricity and rotational speed, respectively. Frederik Wagner COMSOL

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 months ago 2024/02/29 7:00 GMT-5
Updated: 2 months ago 2024/02/29 7:04 GMT-5

Alternatively, you could add a Disk feature, having a radial offset and zero moment of inertia.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Alternatively, you could add a *Disk* feature, having a radial offset and zero moment of inertia.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.