Why is the Reflectance 100% Over A Large Range of Wavelengths?

Collins Kariuki Computational Physics (Sustainability)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm simulating the reflectance properties of a setup comprising a glass substrate with a silver overlay across various wavelengths. Despite employing the predefined material properties for both silica glass and silver from the COMSOL library, my results show an anomalous 100% reflectance for wavelengths spanning from 100 nm to 2000 nm. This outcome is unexpected and suggests a potential issue with my modeling approach. Could you please review my simulation setup and help identify any discrepancies or errors that might be leading to this unusual result?

6 Replies Last Post 2024/03/27 9:11 JST
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 month ago 2024/03/20 3:10 JST

I think it is the same reason as in one of your earlier posts. The material properties are constant and do not depend on the wavelength.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
I think it is the same reason as in one of your earlier posts. The material properties are constant and do not depend on the wavelength.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 month ago 2024/03/20 10:59 JST
Updated: 1 month ago 2024/03/20 10:51 JST

I don't have the ray optics module, but if I understand your model correctly, you have a 350-micron thick layer of silver. Maybe I'm just naive, but doesn't that represent a nice optical mirror? Or are you trying to model something subtle or unusual, like in this article: "Seeing through Silver," Phys. Rev. Focus 18, 4, August 7, 2006 ?

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I don't have the ray optics module, but if I understand your model correctly, you have a 350-micron thick layer of silver. Maybe I'm just naive, but doesn't that represent a nice optical mirror? Or are you trying to model something subtle or unusual, like in this article: "Seeing through Silver," Phys. Rev. Focus 18, 4, August 7, 2006 ?

Posted: 1 month ago 2024/03/26 4:41 JST
Updated: 1 month ago 2024/03/26 4:41 JST

I'm aiming to characterize the reflectance versus wavelength for a glass + silver configuration, with glass as the substrate, similar to the pattern shown in the attached graph (a random Google image). My ultimate objective is to simulate a Passive Daytime Radiative Cooling device (PDRC) comprising layers of Glass, Silver, and PDMS, in that order. I initially used a 350-micron thick silver layer due to uncertainty about the precise thickness of the silver layer. However, the actual thickness of the Silver layer is intended to be 120 nm.

>I don't have the ray optics module, but if I understand your model correctly, you have a 350-micron thick layer of silver. Maybe I'm just naive, but doesn't that represent a nice optical mirror? Or are you trying to model something subtle or unusual, like in this article: "Seeing through Silver," Phys. Rev. Focus 18, 4, August 7, 2006 ? I'm aiming to characterize the reflectance versus wavelength for a glass + silver configuration, with glass as the substrate, similar to the pattern shown in the attached graph (a random Google image). My ultimate objective is to simulate a Passive Daytime Radiative Cooling device (PDRC) comprising layers of Glass, Silver, and PDMS, in that order. I initially used a 350-micron thick silver layer due to uncertainty about the precise thickness of the silver layer. However, the actual thickness of the Silver layer is intended to be 120 nm.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 month ago 2024/03/26 5:02 JST
Updated: 1 month ago 2024/03/26 5:09 JST

Well, no surprise you aren't getting expected results. 120 nm is by a factor 3000 smaller than the thick layer and it is only a fraction of the wavelength at the longer wavelengths of the spectrum you model. I am not sure if ray optics is appropriate for that. You may need to consider wave optics for that.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Well, no surprise you aren't getting expected results. 120 nm is by a factor 3000 smaller than the thick layer and it is only a fraction of the wavelength at the longer wavelengths of the spectrum you model. I am not sure if ray optics is appropriate for that. You may need to consider wave optics for that.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 month ago 2024/03/26 9:56 JST

There is a presentation called "Visible Spectral Reflectance Analysis in a Metal-Insulator-Metal (MIM) Multilayer with COMSOL Multiphysics" available to you in the Technical papers section of the Comsol website that I think may be of interest to you. See https://www.comsol.com/paper/download/159335/oshikane_presentation.pdf

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
There is a presentation called "Visible Spectral Reflectance Analysis in a Metal-Insulator-Metal (MIM) Multilayer with COMSOL Multiphysics" available to you in the Technical papers section of the Comsol website that I think may be of interest to you. See [https://www.comsol.com/paper/download/159335/oshikane_presentation.pdf](http://)

Posted: 1 month ago 2024/03/27 9:11 JST
Updated: 1 month ago 2024/03/27 9:11 JST

Hello again,

I've encountered a minor yet intriguing update with the glass(+silver) model.

To provide some background, in a previous discussion post titled, Reflectance Vs Wavelength (Just Glass), I sought advice on the unchanging reflectance of a sole glass substrate across various wavelengths in my plot. @Edgar J. Kaiser kindly suggested the use of an interpolation function for the refractive index, n(λ).

After exploring, I discovered certain materials in COMSOL already equipped with such functions. I decided to switch the glass in my model to a Corning glass variant with a built-in interpolation function for refractive indices, leading to the expected wavelength-dependent reflectance changes.

Encouraged, I applied this method to my Glass+Silver setup, given that Silver (specifically, Ag (Silver) (Choi et al. 2020: n,k 1.23-6.99 um)) also has its refractive index interpolation function. However, despite numerous adjustments to the glass and silver layers' thickness, the model persistently shows a 100% reflectance across all wavelengths, defying my expectations.

I had anticipated that using materials with predefined interpolation functions would rectify the issue, yet it hasn't. Any insights into why this might be happening?

I must stress that I am new to COMSOL :) Here's a newer version of the COMSOL file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T_YSvZhXtXUMZSuFbkdmWOjdfr9o7Tsa/view?usp=sharing Let me know if I can provide anything else.

Hello again, I've encountered a minor yet intriguing update with the glass(+silver) model. To provide some background, in a previous discussion post titled, *Reflectance Vs Wavelength (Just Glass)*, I sought advice on the unchanging reflectance of a sole glass substrate across various wavelengths in my plot. @Edgar J. Kaiser kindly suggested the use of an interpolation function for the refractive index, n(λ). After exploring, I discovered certain materials in COMSOL already equipped with such functions. I decided to switch the glass in my model to a Corning glass variant with a built-in interpolation function for refractive indices, leading to the expected wavelength-dependent reflectance changes. Encouraged, I applied this method to my Glass+Silver setup, given that Silver (specifically, **Ag (Silver) (Choi et al. 2020: n,k 1.23-6.99 um)**) also has its refractive index interpolation function. However, despite numerous adjustments to the glass and silver layers' thickness, the model persistently shows a 100% reflectance across all wavelengths, defying my expectations. I had anticipated that using materials with predefined interpolation functions would rectify the issue, yet it hasn't. Any insights into why this might be happening? I must stress that I am new to COMSOL :) Here's a newer version of the COMSOL file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T_YSvZhXtXUMZSuFbkdmWOjdfr9o7Tsa/view?usp=sharing Let me know if I can provide anything else.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.