Wish to change circular coil to hexagonal shape

Md Mubdiul Hasan Electromagnetics Design

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello There,

I need a help to change my circular coil to hexagonal shape.Take a look the editing area here, I am adding my design file here.

8 Replies Last Post 2024/05/05 3:30 GMT-4
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 weeks ago 2024/05/01 19:08 GMT-4

The .lock file only refers to the real file and contains no useful information.

I do not know of any easy way to lay out a six-sided coil. You might lay it out in a CAD program or even a chip layout program and then import the file into Comsol. You can import a 2D .dxf file even if you don't have the CAD import module.

I have done eight-sided coils this way (which might be easier, and maybe a better option).

There is probably an automated way to do this that will involve some careful use of trigonometry.

The .lock file only refers to the real file and contains no useful information. I do not know of any easy way to lay out a six-sided coil. You might lay it out in a CAD program or even a chip layout program and then import the file into Comsol. You can import a 2D .dxf file even if you don't have the CAD import module. I have done eight-sided coils this way (which might be easier, and maybe a better option). There is probably an automated way to do this that will involve some careful use of trigonometry.

Posted: 2 weeks ago 2024/05/03 4:26 GMT-4

The .lock file only refers to the real file and contains no useful information.

I do not know of any easy way to lay out a six-sided coil. You might lay it out in a CAD program or even a chip layout program and then import the file into Comsol. You can import a 2D .dxf file even if you don't have the CAD import module.

I have done eight-sided coils this way (which might be easier, and maybe a better option).

There is probably an automated way to do this that will involve some careful use of trigonometry.

Thank you Dave. When I wanted to add the file, it says the size of the file is big. I got an instruction how to make hexagonal plate but its a coil.

>The .lock file only refers to the real file and contains no useful information. > >I do not know of any easy way to lay out a six-sided coil. You might lay it out in a CAD program or even a chip layout program and then import the file into Comsol. You can import a 2D .dxf file even if you don't have the CAD import module. > >I have done eight-sided coils this way (which might be easier, and maybe a better option). > >There is probably an automated way to do this that will involve some careful use of trigonometry. Thank you Dave. When I wanted to add the file, it says the size of the file is big. I got an instruction how to make hexagonal plate but its a coil.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 weeks ago 2024/05/03 5:10 GMT-4
Updated: 2 weeks ago 2024/05/03 5:21 GMT-4

Hi,

I modified the expressions in the hexagon example. It is not exactly your desired shape, but I hope you get the idea and can modify it to your needs. The parameter wind is the number of windings. Essentially the expression subtracts a smaller hexagon (factor 0.01) whose points are linearly scaled with the parameterization angle in the range vectors. I am not submitting a model file, because your example is version 5.3 and I don't have that installed anymore.

cos({range(0,1.0471975511965976,wind* 2* pi)})-0.01* range(0,1.0471975511965976,wind* 2* pi)* cos({range(0,1.0471975511965976,wind* 2* pi)})

sin({range(0,1.0471975511965976,wind* 2* pi)})-0.01* range(0,1.0471975511965976,wind* 2* pi)* sin({range(0,1.0471975511965976,wind* 2* pi)})

Change the object type from solid to an open curve.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, I modified the expressions in the hexagon example. It is not exactly your desired shape, but I hope you get the idea and can modify it to your needs. The parameter wind is the number of windings. Essentially the expression subtracts a smaller hexagon (factor 0.01) whose points are linearly scaled with the parameterization angle in the range vectors. I am not submitting a model file, because your example is version 5.3 and I don't have that installed anymore. cos({range(0,1.0471975511965976,wind* 2* pi)})-0.01* range(0,1.0471975511965976,wind* 2* pi)* cos({range(0,1.0471975511965976,wind* 2* pi)}) sin({range(0,1.0471975511965976,wind* 2* pi)})-0.01* range(0,1.0471975511965976,wind* 2* pi)* sin({range(0,1.0471975511965976,wind* 2* pi)}) Change the object type from solid to an open curve. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 2 weeks ago 2024/05/03 8:58 GMT-4

I am not submitting a model file, because your example is version 5.3 and I don't have that installed anymore.

Thank you Kaisar. I am using COMSOL 6.00, so you can made on it. Kindly share the file then it could be understandable.

> I am not submitting a model file, because your example is version 5.3 and I don't have that installed anymore. > Thank you Kaisar. I am using COMSOL 6.00, so you can made on it. Kindly share the file then it could be understandable.

Posted: 2 weeks ago 2024/05/04 5:51 GMT-4

The parameter wind is the number of windings. Essentially the expression subtracts a smaller hexagon (factor 0.01) whose points are linearly scaled with the parameterization angle in the range vectors

I have included the equation in the simulation and find the hexagonal shape in attached file. But, it looks kind of mismatched with ends.

But in my simulation, where I want to change the coil shape is Helix type, I chosen helix coil from Geometry.

Suggest, where to put those equations.

> The parameter wind is the number of windings. Essentially the expression subtracts a smaller hexagon (factor 0.01) whose points are linearly scaled with the parameterization angle in the range vectors > I have included the equation in the simulation and find the hexagonal shape in attached file. But, it looks kind of mismatched with ends. But in my simulation, where I want to change the coil shape is Helix type, I chosen helix coil from Geometry. Suggest, where to put those equations.

Posted: 2 weeks ago 2024/05/04 13:59 GMT-4

As I wrote in my first post you must change the object type from solid to open curve.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
As I wrote in my first post you must change the object type from solid to open curve.

Posted: 2 weeks ago 2024/05/04 16:33 GMT-4

Yes, I changed to open curve and it works what you have said (see the attachment) The design I showed for hexagonal coil was 2D. But for my design I want to do it in 3D. I saw people use parametric curve in designing circular type helix coil. The equation you have posted works for sure.

It will be more helpfull, if you can guide me to draw it in 3D. Which ptimitive should I use here. Where I can put this equation ?

Now question is should I use multi-turn coil or set of single turn loops? Assume that its a hexagonal shape inductor.

>As I wrote in my first post you must change the object type from solid to open curve. Yes, I changed to open curve and it works what you have said (see the attachment) The design I showed for hexagonal coil was 2D. But for my design I want to do it in 3D. I saw people use parametric curve in designing circular type helix coil. The equation you have posted works for sure. It will be more helpfull, if you can guide me to draw it in 3D. Which ptimitive should I use here. Where I can put this equation ? Now question is should I use multi-turn coil or set of single turn loops? Assume that its a hexagonal shape inductor.

Posted: 1 week ago 2024/05/05 3:30 GMT-4

You can draw this thing on a workplane in 3D. I think it is a single turn coil because it is not a closed curve.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
You can draw this thing on a workplane in 3D. I think it is a single turn coil because it is not a closed curve.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.