Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Postprocessing display of just one subdomain out of many

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm searching for a way to display results for only one subdomain. I have an optical fiber and it's getting lost in the clutter. I've found a couple ways (slice plot, manually selected results range) to see parts of it amongst all the other stuff, but I'd like to be able to hide or suppress the postprocessing display of the other subdomains.

I found a Suppress command under the Options menu, but it doesn't work for postprocessing.

Any ideas?

-Jeff

6 Replies Last Post 2010/06/17 13:56 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/04/06 1:58 GMT-4
Hi

Ys you have in the "Postprocessing - plot parameters" a tick box "Element selection" where you can choose the items to highlight, when you have just a few I use (dom==2) to select domain "2", unfortunately you cannot define a group name here.

you can also do it differently (less convinient) by multiplying youre variable by *(dom==2) then the other geometries will be there in uniform color if the scale start at "0", which is normally the case in "auto" mode

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi Ys you have in the "Postprocessing - plot parameters" a tick box "Element selection" where you can choose the items to highlight, when you have just a few I use (dom==2) to select domain "2", unfortunately you cannot define a group name here. you can also do it differently (less convinient) by multiplying youre variable by *(dom==2) then the other geometries will be there in uniform color if the scale start at "0", which is normally the case in "auto" mode Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/04/06 9:11 GMT-4

"when you have just a few I use (dom==2) to select domain "2",

Ivar,

Thank you so much for the tip. That's EXACTLY what I wanted to do.

Also, coincidentally, I wanted domain number 2. You must be clairvoyant.

-Jeff
[QUOTE] "when you have just a few I use (dom==2) to select domain "2", [/QUOTE] Ivar, Thank you so much for the tip. That's EXACTLY what I wanted to do. Also, coincidentally, I wanted domain number 2. You must be clairvoyant. -Jeff

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/04/07 11:05 GMT-4
Hi

I was slighty too quick,
in the "Postporcessing - PlotParameters - General tab - Element selection" you should use a bolean expression to define a volume of the type (x>3)*(y<4), ad not the (dom==2).

(y<The *(dom==2) is to be used on the variable in the other tabs

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I was slighty too quick, in the "Postporcessing - PlotParameters - General tab - Element selection" you should use a bolean expression to define a volume of the type (x>3)*(y

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/04/07 14:18 GMT-4
Actually, I used dom==2 and it worked great.

-Jeff
Actually, I used dom==2 and it worked great. -Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/06/14 18:35 GMT-4
dom==2 dosn't work for me, and my sobdoamnain cannot is complex and cannot define by simple expressions like x>3.

Any input?
dom==2 dosn't work for me, and my sobdoamnain cannot is complex and cannot define by simple expressions like x>3. Any input?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/06/17 13:56 GMT-4
I think for dom==2 to work, you need to be working with a volume plot in a 3D plot group, then select the element filter tab, and use the logical expression window to enter the dom==2.

The only elements plotted will be those from domain 2. You can also use the range tab to further restrict the elements that get plotted.

You can also use "or", which is || and you can get more domains plotted, as in dom==1 || dom==4, which will plot all elements from domain 1 and domain 4. (It's plotting any element that's in either domain 1 or domain 4, which means you see both, which sounds like an "and" command, depending on how you think of it.) You wouldn't use the "and" operator here, because that would be asking for elements that are in domain 1 and domain 4 at the same time, which isn't possible.

This is powerful stuff, and really handy for looking inside a model to see buried results.

-Jeff
I think for dom==2 to work, you need to be working with a volume plot in a 3D plot group, then select the element filter tab, and use the logical expression window to enter the dom==2. The only elements plotted will be those from domain 2. You can also use the range tab to further restrict the elements that get plotted. You can also use "or", which is || and you can get more domains plotted, as in dom==1 || dom==4, which will plot all elements from domain 1 and domain 4. (It's plotting any element that's in either domain 1 or domain 4, which means you see both, which sounds like an "and" command, depending on how you think of it.) You wouldn't use the "and" operator here, because that would be asking for elements that are in domain 1 and domain 4 at the same time, which isn't possible. This is powerful stuff, and really handy for looking inside a model to see buried results. -Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.