Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

could not obtain licence for comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Whenever i try to run a 'new' COMSOL 3.5 (by selecting NEW on the startup tab), i get this error :

Error: 9016
Could not obtain license for COMSOL
License error: -96.
License server machine is down or not responding.

I have configured firewall to allow lmgrd and LMCOMSOL executions and still no solution, does anyone havr an idea what i should do.

Thanks

5 Replies Last Post 2010/05/09 3:51 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/05/08 8:00 GMT-4
Hi,

I had a similar problem recently. Please read these knowledge base articles first to find out the reason why get the license error.

www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/960.php/
www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/903.php/

If your problem is the same with me, try also to check LMCOMSOL, make "reread the license file' and 'start license server'.

Hope it helps.
Elif
Hi, I had a similar problem recently. Please read these knowledge base articles first to find out the reason why get the license error. http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/960.php/ http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/903.php/ If your problem is the same with me, try also to check LMCOMSOL, make "reread the license file' and 'start license server'. Hope it helps. Elif

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/05/08 13:33 GMT-4
Hi Elif,

I tried all the listed solution but it didnt work. What do they mean by the hostname. My licence file names the hostname as "ANY". Do you know what it means. Also my licence name lists SERVER as IITG-NPMASS 002354A87E77 1718.
What does it imply?

Thanks.
Hi Elif, I tried all the listed solution but it didnt work. What do they mean by the hostname. My licence file names the hostname as "ANY". Do you know what it means. Also my licence name lists SERVER as IITG-NPMASS 002354A87E77 1718. What does it imply? Thanks.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/05/08 16:40 GMT-4
Hi,

You should change "hostname" in your license file with your PC name. if Comsol is installed on your PC, you don't need to change it with a server name, otherwise change "server" with the server name.

Hi, You should change "hostname" in your license file with your PC name. if Comsol is installed on your PC, you don't need to change it with a server name, otherwise change "server" with the server name.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/05/08 19:50 GMT-4
Hi Elif,

Thanks for your help but still thesame problem. I changed hostname to my computername and the comsol is installed to my PC so i left the server name to IITG-NPMASS 002354A87E77 1718 as you adviced.

Im really tired of not achieving any result for 2 nights now. but ill keep on trying.

Thanks
Hi Elif, Thanks for your help but still thesame problem. I changed hostname to my computername and the comsol is installed to my PC so i left the server name to IITG-NPMASS 002354A87E77 1718 as you adviced. Im really tired of not achieving any result for 2 nights now. but ill keep on trying. Thanks

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/05/09 3:51 GMT-4
Hi

setting up the "flexlm" server software is described in detail in the corresponding manual. Normally this is fully taken care of during the installation of COMSOL by the installation programme.

You should rerun the COMSOL DVD if you have received a new licence file, there is an option to just adapt the licence and not start the full installation from scratch. And use support they are very helpful to ensure this is OK.

For your information: the licence is locked to a given PC hardware, so if you change your PC, or you get it repared (mother board exchange) then you might need to contact your Comsol supplier to get a new licence file, this is so for all FlexLm controlled software, and thee are quite many.

A licence file if consists of a text file of content:

SERVER <host_name_or_IP> <mac_address_number> <port_number>
[USE SERVER]
VENDOR <vendor_deamon_programme_name> <vendor_deamon_path_and_file> <[optional_port_number]>
... additional options
FEATURE options ...

where uppercase are mandatory field names in that order, lowercase are values that depend on your licence options combined with your hardware. These should normally NOT be changed as this corrupts the data.

The only thing you should check and adapt before your run the COMSOL installation is the first SERVER line: <host_name_or_IP> that should reflect the name on the network of the PC used as licence server (your PC or one on your network). the <mac_address_number> is the hardware reference used to encrypt your licence and should be part of the HW present on the PC running the licence server, you should in no case try to change it just corrupts your licence file, normally this is the info you send to COMSOL to allow them to give you the correct licence file.
The VENDOR line contains the name and file path & name to your COMSOL licence "deamon" (an OS service). the only thing you can do is to check that the executable is it where the path is pointing.

the optional [] [USE SERVER] is to tell the local licence deamon to connect to the above server and get the licence info from the server, first, before starting to analyse what comes later.

the last lines are your options and their encryption info, as well as validation dates etc

I have half a dozen FlexLM controlled software so my files tend to become complex (you can mix the info but then you really need to know what you are doing). The easiest solution is to run separate process for separate licences, but some times there are conflict with the version or the default port names of the Flexlm software.

From my experience, COMSOL is installing this in a clean way (unfortunately they are not that many software doing it cleanly !), without messing up with other Flexlm licences so the best is to use the DVD installation software.

Last thing,
you should avoid distributing your mac-address on internet linked to your own id (just edit your message and suppress all or at last 6 numbers), as the mac_address (yours start with 00-23.. that is a Dell if I remember well) is your "phone number" in the internet, and it is normally unique, and must stay unique, otherwise you get into severe network trouble.

Hope this helps on the way
Ivar
Hi setting up the "flexlm" server software is described in detail in the corresponding manual. Normally this is fully taken care of during the installation of COMSOL by the installation programme. You should rerun the COMSOL DVD if you have received a new licence file, there is an option to just adapt the licence and not start the full installation from scratch. And use support they are very helpful to ensure this is OK. For your information: the licence is locked to a given PC hardware, so if you change your PC, or you get it repared (mother board exchange) then you might need to contact your Comsol supplier to get a new licence file, this is so for all FlexLm controlled software, and thee are quite many. A licence file if consists of a text file of content: SERVER [USE SERVER] VENDOR ... additional options FEATURE options ... ... where uppercase are mandatory field names in that order, lowercase are values that depend on your licence options combined with your hardware. These should normally NOT be changed as this corrupts the data. The only thing you should check and adapt before your run the COMSOL installation is the first SERVER line: that should reflect the name on the network of the PC used as licence server (your PC or one on your network). the is the hardware reference used to encrypt your licence and should be part of the HW present on the PC running the licence server, you should in no case try to change it just corrupts your licence file, normally this is the info you send to COMSOL to allow them to give you the correct licence file. The VENDOR line contains the name and file path & name to your COMSOL licence "deamon" (an OS service). the only thing you can do is to check that the executable is it where the path is pointing. the optional [] [USE SERVER] is to tell the local licence deamon to connect to the above server and get the licence info from the server, first, before starting to analyse what comes later. the last lines are your options and their encryption info, as well as validation dates etc I have half a dozen FlexLM controlled software so my files tend to become complex (you can mix the info but then you really need to know what you are doing). The easiest solution is to run separate process for separate licences, but some times there are conflict with the version or the default port names of the Flexlm software. From my experience, COMSOL is installing this in a clean way (unfortunately they are not that many software doing it cleanly !), without messing up with other Flexlm licences so the best is to use the DVD installation software. Last thing, you should avoid distributing your mac-address on internet linked to your own id (just edit your message and suppress all or at last 6 numbers), as the mac_address (yours start with 00-23.. that is a Dell if I remember well) is your "phone number" in the internet, and it is normally unique, and must stay unique, otherwise you get into severe network trouble. Hope this helps on the way Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.