Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Where to find the definition of "First principal strain" definition formula?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone!

I am using Comsol 3.5a.

I have a question about first principal striain definition in Stucture mechanics module.
From "Physics - Equation system - Subdomain Settings", we can see
all the variables definition there, such as
ex_smsld = ux,
ey_smsld = uy et al.

My problem is,
where can I find the definition of
e1_smsld, which I can select in the postprocessing to directly select and plot it.
But I can not find the definition for this variable.

Does it hide somewhere or...?
Thanks a lot!

BR,
Xiaogai Li

7 Replies Last Post 2012/10/30 13:08 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/06/03 11:51 GMT-4
Hi

I agree I can neither not find any clear definition in, but there are several references to the principal strain in the smeug.pdf and smeref.pdf docs, inclusive article references

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi I agree I can neither not find any clear definition in, but there are several references to the principal strain in the smeug.pdf and smeref.pdf docs, inclusive article references Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/01 15:26 GMT-4
Ivar,

Where do I find the files you mentioned ? There are not in my doc folder(s). I found the smeug.pdf online but not the smeref.pdf.

Regards,

Ali
Ivar, Where do I find the files you mentioned ? There are not in my doc folder(s). I found the smeug.pdf online but not the smeref.pdf. Regards, Ali

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/02 3:10 GMT-4
Hi

they should be in your help doc pdf directory of COMSOL (if you find some on the net, they may be of an older version)

For me COMSOL has still not managed fully to get the v4.2a doc up to the level of 3.5a w.r.t description of all the new variables, but they are close (but have managed to add most of the many new features of v4) so I expect the crossover is coming now in the 4.3 release ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi they should be in your help doc pdf directory of COMSOL (if you find some on the net, they may be of an older version) For me COMSOL has still not managed fully to get the v4.2a doc up to the level of 3.5a w.r.t description of all the new variables, but they are close (but have managed to add most of the many new features of v4) so I expect the crossover is coming now in the 4.3 release ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/10/30 12:29 GMT-4
Can someone please provide the definitions by posting those principal strain definitions here? I couldn't find the PDF documents.
Can someone please provide the definitions by posting those principal strain definitions here? I couldn't find the PDF documents.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/10/30 12:55 GMT-4
Hi

have you checked the Structural PDF doc p178-179 etc (v4.3a ?)

You have more if you turn on the Equation View nodes and look at a Solid - Linear Elastic Material - Equation sub-node

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked the Structural PDF doc p178-179 etc (v4.3a ?) You have more if you turn on the Equation View nodes and look at a Solid - Linear Elastic Material - Equation sub-node -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/10/30 13:01 GMT-4
Thanks Ivar,

As i said earlier, i'm unable to access the documents due to some restrictions. I request someone to please copy-paste the information from the PDFs. The definitions are going to help many more people in the future, if they are unable to access them.
Thanks Ivar, As i said earlier, i'm unable to access the documents due to some restrictions. I request someone to please copy-paste the information from the PDFs. The definitions are going to help many more people in the future, if they are unable to access them.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/10/30 13:08 GMT-4
Hi

then open the view equations and peek therein, you get the same info and more

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi then open the view equations and peek therein, you get the same info and more -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.