Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to build a moving geometry???

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone!
I am using Electrodeposition Module. The anode of geometry is moving as the time goes, and the moveing anode is Piecewise function. ( The physical field is Electrodeposition,Tertiary Nernest- Planck ,which
does not have an option of moving geometry)
Anybody know???
please ,help me !!!
I would be very grateful.

3 Replies Last Post 2015/05/26 10:48 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 2015/05/22 4:41 GMT-4
Hallo,
Have you tried the moving mesh physics (ALE)?
In case you haven't, I believe the solution for a CLOSED system should look something like this:
1. Define the piecewise function (pw1) of the movement using the displacement as a factor.
2. Add the Ale physics in which you define the movement of the anode by a "Prescribed deformation". For an input, for example in the x-direction, use the time operator t as an input for the piecewise function describing the movement of the anode (something like: pw1[t]).
3. Define a "Free deformation" on surrounding domain of the model.
4. Add "Prescribed mesh displacement" surrounding the anode boundaries with the same input as in point (2).
5. Use a fine mesh setting and in the time-dependent solver, check the "automatic meshing" option.

if solver convergence was not achieved, you might need to refine the mesh or play a bit with the solver, especially the time stepping type of the stop condition for re-meshing.

I hope that helped you a bit.

Good luck,
Zedd

Hallo, Have you tried the moving mesh physics (ALE)? In case you haven't, I believe the solution for a CLOSED system should look something like this: 1. Define the piecewise function (pw1) of the movement using the displacement as a factor. 2. Add the Ale physics in which you define the movement of the anode by a "Prescribed deformation". For an input, for example in the x-direction, use the time operator t as an input for the piecewise function describing the movement of the anode (something like: pw1[t]). 3. Define a "Free deformation" on surrounding domain of the model. 4. Add "Prescribed mesh displacement" surrounding the anode boundaries with the same input as in point (2). 5. Use a fine mesh setting and in the time-dependent solver, check the "automatic meshing" option. if solver convergence was not achieved, you might need to refine the mesh or play a bit with the solver, especially the time stepping type of the stop condition for re-meshing. I hope that helped you a bit. Good luck, Zedd

Posted: 9 years ago 2015/05/23 1:49 GMT-4
Hello

Many thanks for your replying, and I am very sorry so late reply to you !

I have tried the advice that you offered several times , and the Ale physics is not working .

But this i s a question that's always puzzled me .

Would you leave me your email? I

If it's convenient for you, I will send the model to you so that you can find the solution .

I am really grateful.

Thanks again!
Hello Many thanks for your replying, and I am very sorry so late reply to you ! I have tried the advice that you offered several times , and the Ale physics is not working . But this i s a question that's always puzzled me . Would you leave me your email? I If it's convenient for you, I will send the model to you so that you can find the solution . I am really grateful. Thanks again!

Posted: 9 years ago 2015/05/26 10:48 GMT-4
Hallo,

Let's keep the discussion in this post alive so that other COMSOL users find it useful. Nonetheless, upload a simplified version of your model and i will be happy to take a look at it.

Moving mesh physics is not hard to apply, yet sometimes tricky. I attached a simple model for the moving mesh. Maybe it could provide a starting point for your model.

Have fun,
Zaid
Hallo, Let's keep the discussion in this post alive so that other COMSOL users find it useful. Nonetheless, upload a simplified version of your model and i will be happy to take a look at it. Moving mesh physics is not hard to apply, yet sometimes tricky. I attached a simple model for the moving mesh. Maybe it could provide a starting point for your model. Have fun, Zaid

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.