Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Terahertz antenna

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello every one,

I am intending to do a project using COMSOL. The main idea is to design an antenna operating at Terahertz frequencies.
Actually i am a beginner and have not touched COMSOL before.
My question is:
1/ How can COMSOL generate THz frequencies? is there any ready generator?

Thank you

4 Replies Last Post 2012/06/18 11:58 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/06/20 4:26 GMT-4
Hi,

you would choose the RF application module and a frequency domain study. Your terahertz frequency is a study parameter. You can enter a single frequency or a range to perform a parameter study.

Cheers,
Edgar
Hi, you would choose the RF application module and a frequency domain study. Your terahertz frequency is a study parameter. You can enter a single frequency or a range to perform a parameter study. Cheers, Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/07/03 15:49 GMT-4

Hi,

you would choose the RF application module and a frequency domain study. Your terahertz frequency is a study parameter. You can enter a single frequency or a range to perform a parameter study.

Cheers,
Edgar

Hi Edgar,

Thanks for reply. I was not sure actually as i am new to COMSOL.
I am interested in the 3D radiation pattern and the gain of my proposed antenna.
I want to strart learning COMSOL with designing a simple Dipole antenna and draw the patternt and calculate the gain.

What is the best way to generate the input signal. I know we can use Lumped port in the gap between the two antenna parts. Is this method effective for any antenna type and at any frequency range ? above 200GHz for example?

Cheers,
Khalid
[QUOTE] Hi, you would choose the RF application module and a frequency domain study. Your terahertz frequency is a study parameter. You can enter a single frequency or a range to perform a parameter study. Cheers, Edgar [/QUOTE] Hi Edgar, Thanks for reply. I was not sure actually as i am new to COMSOL. I am interested in the 3D radiation pattern and the gain of my proposed antenna. I want to strart learning COMSOL with designing a simple Dipole antenna and draw the patternt and calculate the gain. What is the best way to generate the input signal. I know we can use Lumped port in the gap between the two antenna parts. Is this method effective for any antenna type and at any frequency range ? above 200GHz for example? Cheers, Khalid

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/07/04 4:10 GMT-4
Hi,

you can certainly use a lumped port to excite your dipole in the model. However, my question would be if this corresponds to a real millimeterwave antenna. In a real antenna you always have interactions between the feedline (waveguide, coax) and the radiator.

I modeled dipoles and small yagi-uda antennas in the UHF range (500 MHz). There a lumped port works well because you normally excite such a dipole by conneting the feedline wires to the center gap of the dipole and you can keep the interaction with the feedline small by proper balancing and cable placement.

Your approach is good. Start with a simple dipole and check if the radiation pattern looks reasonable. Then increase the complexity.

Cheers
Edgar

Hi, you can certainly use a lumped port to excite your dipole in the model. However, my question would be if this corresponds to a real millimeterwave antenna. In a real antenna you always have interactions between the feedline (waveguide, coax) and the radiator. I modeled dipoles and small yagi-uda antennas in the UHF range (500 MHz). There a lumped port works well because you normally excite such a dipole by conneting the feedline wires to the center gap of the dipole and you can keep the interaction with the feedline small by proper balancing and cable placement. Your approach is good. Start with a simple dipole and check if the radiation pattern looks reasonable. Then increase the complexity. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/18 11:58 GMT-4
Hi,,,,

Even i tried working on Terahertz antenna in COMSOL, but am not using any lumped elements to excite the signal in the structure. Am trying to incident a terahertz wave, for example of frequency 2e12 Hz.

The dipole antenna is placed on a silicon substrate. I incident light perpendicularly on the antenna, and i need to look at the radiation pattern using COMSOL.
Can u help me in this regard!!!

Thank you
Shourie Ranjana J.
Hi,,,, Even i tried working on Terahertz antenna in COMSOL, but am not using any lumped elements to excite the signal in the structure. Am trying to incident a terahertz wave, for example of frequency 2e12 Hz. The dipole antenna is placed on a silicon substrate. I incident light perpendicularly on the antenna, and i need to look at the radiation pattern using COMSOL. Can u help me in this regard!!! Thank you Shourie Ranjana J.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.