Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

System requirements to run COMSOL simulations involving millions of degrees of freedom

Triantafyllos (Fyllos) Stylianopoulos

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I want to run transient comsol simulations that involve ~10 million degrees of freedom on a workstation equipped with a new Intel Xeon processor (3.06GHz speed). From your experience, how much RAM is required to run effectively such a simulation and is this feasible as far as the solution time is concern? If it is not feasible what are the system requirements that will allow me to run these simulations?

I use both COMSOL 4.2 and 3.5a. Is the new version faster in solving large simulations than the older one?

thank you very much,
Fyllos

2 Replies Last Post 2011/10/20 11:28 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/10/20 11:04 GMT-4
Hi

I run about 2-3 MDof on 48Gb, depends quite a bit on your model and solver, so you would need quite some RAM ;)
In anycase use the latest version, in my opinion

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I run about 2-3 MDof on 48Gb, depends quite a bit on your model and solver, so you would need quite some RAM ;) In anycase use the latest version, in my opinion -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/10/20 11:28 GMT-4
See this www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/863/
It says that to run a problem with a million DOF, you need about 20GB for a direct solver.

Sirisha
See this http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/863/ It says that to run a problem with a million DOF, you need about 20GB for a direct solver. Sirisha

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.