Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Free fluid flow inducing a movement in a porous matrix

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm looking to simulate a steady state system where a fluid flow is inducing a velocity on an porous matrix (see attached picture).

I have managed to model a moving solid using the Fluid-Structure Interaction multiphysics, and I have also managed to seperately model a non-moving solid being infiltrated by the fluid using the Free and Porous Media Flow physics. However I am not sure how to start in order to model both of these physics happening at the same time.

I have attached a picture of the problem.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Kind regards, J

2 Replies Last Post 2019/06/09 18:04 GMT-4

Posted: 5 years ago 2019/06/06 8:00 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 2019/06/06 8:00 GMT-4

Hi J,

I recommend you read the Deformed Geometry and Moving Mesh chapter of the reference manual

/path/to/comsol/doc/pdf/COMSOL_Multiphysics/COMSOL_ReferenceManual.pdf

As far as I can tell, your usecase is completely within what this feature is intended for. Best, Alexis

Hi J, I recommend you read the **Deformed Geometry and Moving Mesh** chapter of the reference manual /path/to/comsol/doc/pdf/COMSOL_Multiphysics/COMSOL_ReferenceManual.pdf As far as I can tell, your usecase is completely within what this feature is intended for. Best, Alexis

Posted: 5 years ago 2019/06/09 18:04 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 2019/06/09 18:01 GMT-4

Thanks for the reply Alexis!

I am somewhat familiar with using deformed geometries/moving mesh. However in this case I ideally do not want the geometry to deform. I did not explain it well, but in this case the porous matrix is infinitely long, so when it is moved down and exits the domain at the bottom, it is also replaced at the top. So essentially I am not "moving" the shape of my domains.

Maybe this makes the problem more difficult?

Any further help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks again, J

Thanks for the reply Alexis! I am somewhat familiar with using deformed geometries/moving mesh. However in this case I ideally do not want the geometry to deform. I did not explain it well, but in this case the porous matrix is infinitely long, so when it is moved down and exits the domain at the bottom, it is also replaced at the top. So essentially I am not "moving" the shape of my domains. Maybe this makes the problem more difficult? Any further help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks again, J

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.