Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Transient Implementation of the Rotating Blade Tutorial in the Structural Mechanics Model Library

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am trying to build on the rotating blade tutorial in the structural mechanics model library. I would like to see how the blade deforms over time, instead of the eigenfrequency analysis in the tutorial. Specifically, I want to steadily ramp the input angular velocity (Omega) that effects the body loads on the beam and track the beam tip deflection over time. I know how to define the input angular velocity ramp function and also how to plot the beam tip deflection, however my problem is that my results do not even come close to those reported in published journal articles. I'm trying to gain some insight into any possible sources of error or something I may be overlooking. In the tutorial, a solver sequence is used to first pre-stress the blade (stationary solver) and then solve for the eigenfrequencies (eigenfrequency solver). Do I have to perform a similar solver sequence in the transient simulation? For instance, at each time step would I need to first pre-stress the blade with the stationary solver and then iterate to the next time step? Recommendations for specific solver settings? I'm using the large deformations option currently, because I'm expecting the tip of my blade to deform significantly. Has anyone reading this ever solved this problem before, where they're studying the transient deformation of a beam in a rotating frame? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For reference, I'm using 3.5a but I also have access to 4.1

Thanks,
-Caleb

0 Replies Last Post 2011/11/14 12:18 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Caleb DeValve

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.