Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to link a function with physical parameters in a model?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

For example, there is a columnar object in my model. There is a function f(x)=10x^2+5x+1to describe the mobility of an ion, where x is the height of the column. That is to say, the mobility of an ion is different at different heights (positions)of the column. So how do I link this function with the heights of the column?

Comsol version is 3.2. Thanks!

3 Replies Last Post 2012/03/13 2:27 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/03/12 4:43 GMT-4
Hi

that COMSOL version is really too old for me to remember, but normally all data entry fields (or almost) accept functions,so its mainly "just" to enter the function as is (use the correct coordinate x,y,z or r depending on your model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that COMSOL version is really too old for me to remember, but normally all data entry fields (or almost) accept functions,so its mainly "just" to enter the function as is (use the correct coordinate x,y,z or r depending on your model -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/03/13 0:02 GMT-4
Thanks for your reply. But I still don't understand. You mean I should create a new function f(x) in the "Function" submenu under "Physics" menu, and then what? The height of the columnar object is 1500 nm, so the ionic mobility is different along the height of the object according to the function f(x).
Thanks
Thanks for your reply. But I still don't understand. You mean I should create a new function f(x) in the "Function" submenu under "Physics" menu, and then what? The height of the columnar object is 1500 nm, so the ionic mobility is different along the height of the object according to the function f(x). Thanks

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/03/13 2:27 GMT-4
Hi

if you have a height along the "z" coordinate, then you can write mobility = mu_value if the mobility is constant, but you acn also write in mobility = mu_value0+mu_slope*(z-z0) in the equation in this way it will vary linearly with Z, it's just to adapt to get any desired function

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you have a height along the "z" coordinate, then you can write mobility = mu_value if the mobility is constant, but you acn also write in mobility = mu_value0+mu_slope*(z-z0) in the equation in this way it will vary linearly with Z, it's just to adapt to get any desired function -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.