Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

can COMSOL set the type of elements?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I use the ABAQUS before, in that software we can set the type of the element just like 8-node plain strain element. I wander whether the COMSOL can set such thing and how?
Thank you

2 Replies Last Post 2012/05/15 10:06 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/05/15 6:46 GMT-4
Hi

yes you can but its slightly different, you define this under the discretization, COMSOl uses 2nd order polynomial over the basic mesh, by default (for most physics) ech dependent variable might use different discretization.

If I remember right you need to turn on the visibility of the discretization tab of the main physics in the preferences options section (there you can add also other advanced tabs, as well as the underlying "equations"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi yes you can but its slightly different, you define this under the discretization, COMSOl uses 2nd order polynomial over the basic mesh, by default (for most physics) ech dependent variable might use different discretization. If I remember right you need to turn on the visibility of the discretization tab of the main physics in the preferences options section (there you can add also other advanced tabs, as well as the underlying "equations" -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/05/15 10:06 GMT-4
thank you. you are very helpful, I will have a try.
thank you. you are very helpful, I will have a try.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.