Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Maximum stress location

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone, I have a simple question. I am trying to find a location of maximum stress on my model, but somehow I cannot find out how to get it. Can anyone please help me with that?

Josef

3 Replies Last Post 2012/05/15 10:22 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/05/15 9:46 GMT-4
Hi

search the FORUM for max( it has been discussed a few times, its also (slightly hidden) in the help files you need to call the max(u,x), max(u,y) or max(u,z) to get the three coordinates x,y,z of the maximum of your dependent variable "u" (example for a solid physics case)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi search the FORUM for max( it has been discussed a few times, its also (slightly hidden) in the help files you need to call the max(u,x), max(u,y) or max(u,z) to get the three coordinates x,y,z of the maximum of your dependent variable "u" (example for a solid physics case) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/05/15 10:13 GMT-4
Thank you for fast answer. I did find a post about it, however I don't know how to do the following

Define a Maximum coupling operator, then pass in the independent variables as a second argument to query the location at which the maximum occurred. For example, say you solve for temperature, T, and you have a Maximum coupling operator, maxop1, then use:

maxop1(T,x) for the x-coordinate at which the maximum occurs
maxop1(T,y) for the y-coordinate at which the maximum occurs

Can you please tell me where exactly I do this?

Thank you

Josef
Thank you for fast answer. I did find a post about it, however I don't know how to do the following Define a Maximum coupling operator, then pass in the independent variables as a second argument to query the location at which the maximum occurred. For example, say you solve for temperature, T, and you have a Maximum coupling operator, maxop1, then use: maxop1(T,x) for the x-coordinate at which the maximum occurs maxop1(T,y) for the y-coordinate at which the maximum occurs Can you please tell me where exactly I do this? Thank you Josef

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/05/15 10:22 GMT-4
Hi

the first argument is the variable (T(x,y,z,t) in your case, but you write just T) and the second argument is a charachter "x", "y" ...
Once you have defined the maxop1() operator in the definition, you must solve your model (or update it if already solved before you defined the maxop1)

Then under Derived Values you define a global value and enter maxop1(T,x), duplicate it 2-3 times and replace the x, by y then z respectively

The result in the table should be the coordinates of the maximum over the domains, or boundaries defuned under the maxop1() operator tab

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the first argument is the variable (T(x,y,z,t) in your case, but you write just T) and the second argument is a charachter "x", "y" ... Once you have defined the maxop1() operator in the definition, you must solve your model (or update it if already solved before you defined the maxop1) Then under Derived Values you define a global value and enter maxop1(T,x), duplicate it 2-3 times and replace the x, by y then z respectively The result in the table should be the coordinates of the maximum over the domains, or boundaries defuned under the maxop1() operator tab -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.