Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

cylinder roller contact (contact mechanics) modeling problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

My model is pretty simple: a cylinder contacting an infinite half-space and I want to find out the deformation at the contact area as well as the stress distribution in the half-space. Actually this problem has a perfect description in a COMSOL standard model in versions 3.5a and above (attachment is the problem description for version 3.5a that is downloaded from COMSOL website). However, my current COMSOL version is 3.4, and I found that in 3.4 I cannot define "contact pair" between the cylinder and the half-space while only can define "identity pair". As a result, I cannot get reliable results using my current software. So I'm wondering if I need a newer version to solve the problem or I can still solve it using the current older version? If yes, then how should I do?

I'm looking forward to anyone's reply. Thanks in advance!

0 Replies Last Post 2012/10/24 15:19 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Deyi Fu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.